Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Lithops, my old friends (10 pics)

After yesterday's lithops post I've been feeling nostalgic, browsing through old photos and blog entries. Since I was talking about plants I've had for years I got curious and wanted to see what I wrote about them back then.

It's hard to decide whether it is depressing or uplifting to see those old photos. The plants I got as adults look just as fresh and shiny now as 8 years ago. There is no difference at all. Meanwhile I am getting older and for sure don't look the same. Yearly rejuvenation was a good choice.

Here is a photo of a L. dorotheae (C300) I took this week and here is the entry where I mention this plant for the first time, in 2010, when I was still in Japan.



These two I bought the same year in Japan as well. It is the "de Boer" variety of L. dorotheae with a stronger coloring. It seems back in 2010 these were the first L. dorotheae I grew.



And their own two-year-olds look promising, too.



This slightly unusual L. dorotheae (C300) has grown 2 heads compared to the 2012 photo



L. olivacea v. olivacea (C055). Such a happy plant first mentioned sometime in 2011.



And these guys! They are my absolute favorites! And it has nothing to do with the fact that they are the first Lithops I grew from seed back in 2008. Ok, it's partly the reason :D 
But they have the most perfect color, pattern and shape. Stunning plants. 10 years old now.
L. lesliei ssp. lesliei v. minor (C006)




These L. bromfieldii v. glaudinae (C382) were sown in 2010. I can not believe they made it.


L. lesliei ssp. lesliei v. mariae (C141) from the same year. It took them several years to develop the typical mariae pattern and now here they are.


And of course the L. gracilidelineata from the year 2009. They survived my mother's generous care when I was studying in Japan and they have been flowering, too. 


Lithops make me feel old.

No comments:

Post a Comment