Sunday, July 24, 2016

Anacampseros seedlings update (12 pics)

It's been 6 weeks since Mila is in my life and I'm still adjusting. I love her so much, she is the most clever and beautiful little kitty! Still, having another living being live with me and taking care of it is very new to me. Sure I've been taking care of plants a lot in my life but they don't lick my face at night. They also do not talk to me all the time expecting me to understand, like Mila does. Is she hungry? Is she sleepy? Does she want to play now? My plants are fine, by the way, she does not show any interest in eating them. She does jump on the windowsill from time to time though (followed by my yelling) but so far no real damage done. Mesembs and cats seem to be compatible after all.

Back to topic. You remember I've been sowing lots and lots of Anacampseros this February? I've been neglecting them just like all other seedlings this year but I think it was good for them in the end. Now that they are getting bigger and the "proper" looks are starting to show I realize how many they are. What am I supposed to do with all these plants?! I will keep them until they are more or less adult-sized and then give some of them away. So if you're interested drop me a line. I ship within Europe.

Here are some of the seedlings that already look like something.

Anacampseros rufescens 'Sunrise'
Sunrise it is! My cat knocking them over, enforcing transplantation, really improved their looks and sped up the growth. Thanks Mila, my tireless helper.








The seedlings in the next four pots all look pretty similar at this stage but they are in fact all different.
I'll leave all details I have on the below plants in brackets. "An--" numbers are from the Atomic Plant catalog.

Anacampseros baeseckei (Kinderle, ex MG7009, An63)


Anacampseros namaquensis (Sendelingsdrift, ex MG7042, An69)


Anacampseros arachnoides (s Calitzdorp, An79)


Anacampseros filamentosa ssp. tomentosa (20km w Windhoek, An156)


Anacampseros rufescens (JVT g6311 n.v. Audtshoorn)
Cute pointy leaves.


Anacampseros telephiastrum (JVT g6324 uid.v. Calitzdorp)
Too many! I really need to start transplanting one of these days...


 Anacampseros retusa f. rubra (Kalbakkies Pass, An44)
These are quite interesting. They are supposed to be "hairless" and grow fat roots.



Anacampseros vanthielii (grown from own seeds)
Hatched in October 2015 and getting too big for the two pots I have them in. 



Anacampseros filamentosa ssp namaquensis (also from own seeds)
These are from 2014 and very neat looking by now. Not yet flowering though.


I already have this year's seeds to give away if someone is interested. Involuntarily sowings are happening, too.



All in all, if you want a sense of achievement Anacampseros are the plants you are looking for. Quite easy from seed and cuttings and no special care required. Also, transplanting speeds things up considerably (that's why I keep postponing it XD).

11 comments:

  1. Rika, your mesembs are priceless. Sigh. I need to work on my mesembs-fu. And I absolutely love Mila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) The less you work on your mesemb-fu the better you get at it. It's quite zen. So you're doing it right ;)

      Delete
    2. I think my first mistake was sowing a lot of mesembs just as we were packing, moving and then unpacking while remodeling. Bad idea!

      I would love some of your excess seeds if you still have any to spare!

      Delete
    3. Yes, small seedlings do not like to be bothered and moved. You can always try again though ;)

      I don't have any mesemb seeds at the moment except Delosperma. But I have Anacampseros seeds and will make a post with the list.

      Delete
  2. Какие милашки те самые первые с розовыми щечками!!! Ми-ми -ми...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо! Я тоже лююю их всех :) Лапсовая мелочь и растет беспроблемно :) Советую!

      Delete
  3. Good Morning,
    I have been exploring the internet about lithops and this blog is the most informative so far. I really adore the succulents and lithops photos. Its like a Paradise when i came across this page. Thanks for sharing the beauty of them. I been looking around for lithops seeds across the internet and its so hard to find. Do you ship seeds to Dubai, UAE? I am also curious what soil mix do you use and where do you think i can get it? I will really appreciate a little Help :) Best Wishes -Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Iaron :)

      Thank you very much! I'm really happy you could find something interesting for yourself here.

      I don't have any seeds for sale at the moment. Lithops rarely flower for me and never two of the kind at the same time.

      I grow all my plants in pure pumice that I order in conos-paradise.de It must be expensive to ship it to UAE though...

      Feel free to write if you have any questions :)

      Delete
  4. (✿◕‿◕) Thank you Rika (ʘ‿ʘ✿)

    I already place an order in conos-paradise for seeds. I will definitely ask some suggestion from you in the future when i start planting them.


    Right now, i will just focus on my succulent colllection while waiting for the lithops seeds. I guess i will just ask some garden shop here where to find pumice.

    Thanks Again.
    Wishing Your Garden more flowers to bloom ✿✿✿✿✿✿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :)

      You can try asking for the japanese Akadama soil in the store. It is supposed to work well too.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome :)

      You can try asking for the japanese Akadama soil in the store. It is supposed to work well too.

      Delete