While being away from the internet (all the recent entries are written from the university library) I was keeping busy lithops-wise. I read on different blogs and boards by lithops lovers that they successfully sow them on pure pumice. I wasn't sure whether it was a good idea but really wanted to try it anyway. If it happens to work out it will make the whole process easier. So, on the 23rd of October I've spread 50 seeds of lesliei ssp. lesliei v. mariae (C141) over the wet pumice stones. You can see the seeds lying upon the stones on the first picture. The seeds are large and won't fall through, I thought, and, out of 50, several should germinate even if they don't like the substrate. I understand that late October is not the best time either but I definitely wanted to try this. I put a see-through cover on the container and placed it on my south-eastern window ledge. Being covered up, pumice can stay wet for a long time so I didn't have to add much water during the next days. The result was definitely a success. They started to sprout on day 5 and on day 7 it looked like the picture below. I was especially amazed to find how nicely they took a grip between the stones (it was always a problem with soil substrate - heads down, roots up). I've removed the cover on day 9 and am watching them closely. So far they seem to develop well. What a relief! :)
PS: The seeds are from Francois Hoes. HQ stuff ;) The result after 12 days is 44 out of 50. Inspired by this I've recently sown more and will report about it later.