Sunday, October 6, 2019

Transplanting Adromischus (7 pics)

The longer I grow Adromischus the more obvious it gets that they really don't like summer heat that much. The intense light isn't beneficial to them either when it's hot. I tend to ignore them in summer because looking at them depresses me. The green types lose their color, the rest is just sitting there deflating miserably while also not taking in water. Then they drop leaves or start rotting. Of course, there are flowers, but they weaken the plants additionally leaving them in a sorry state that mealy bugs like to exploit. And then September comes and the world is new again! They inflate their leaves and new growth appears everywhere, they get plump and happy and I realize I spend most of my time at the windowsill in the Adromischus corner. Fall and spring are the two seasons Adromischus look best!
It's also the time to re-evaluate their growing conditions and transplant those needing transplanting. For example, I had some greenies growing in a shadier place and they made it though the summer retaining their color while the rest all turned yellow. So, now all the greenies have been moved to the shade. It freed up some space for bigger pots, too. Which is convenient as at least two plants have outgrown theirs. 
I couldn't decide first, which one is going to move to a bigger pot this year, my old red-ish type plant or the green one they call A. marianiae 'alviolatus'. After a month of active growth both look great and could spread even more if given the opportunity.


By the way, this is the same plant as on the below picture, taken back in March 2018.


In the end I decided to move the alveolatus and, once the top layer of pumice was removed, it was clearly the right decision. Those roots have no more room in the old pot!





One root massage later the big root beard is revealed.


I wonder if it will fill out this 9 cm pot by next year :)



PS: I've grown several cute babies from its leaves, too.


3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I m from Tunisia
    Please can you direct me to where can i find succulents and especially lithops in germany. My husband is actually in in Bonn and then he will go for one day to frunkfurt. Can he find lithops in supermarkets, tedi, action, aldi, or there are specific places to buy from.
    I really love to have them
    Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      You can always try the gardening stores. Just google "gartencenter bonn" or "gartencenter frankfurt main" for the addresses.

      Sometimes lithops are sold there but no guarantees...

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your quick reply!!!
    I will do
    Hope to find them 😊😊😊
    Have a nice day Rika

    ReplyDelete