Sunday, April 17, 2016

Haworthia limifolia: Stray observations (3 pics)

Plants can have very different appearances depending on the conditions they grow in. While potting the plant from yesterday's post I wondered at how different it is from its own cutting that has been growing at my place all this time when the other was at my parents'. 

They are the SAME plant! Literally. The "piece" to the left was grown with little water (due to absent roots) and looks more like a H. limifolia to me, actually, long, thin, slightly curved leaves. No idea about the light conditions. The one to the right has been watered and repotted regularly while growing in a sunny spot. It has short thick leaves that barely "spin". If I didn't know better I would think they are different kinds of Haworthia. Can't say which appearance is better or healthier or more natural. Crazy plants.


4 comments:

  1. I like haworthias and I like H. limifolia, but it really is a wild grower, filling the pot with offsets rapidly. I actually think it looks better as a single plant in its pot, but it refuses to stay a single plant. I wonder if the rabbits would eat it if I planted a few outside in the ground? The leaves are very hard, doesn't seem very delectable. Maybe I'll try it in a window box first. I know it can't stay out over winter but I'll worry about that in about 7 months. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I had 1 plant initially. Now I have 5. Soon I'll have to give away a couple of them :)

      Hm, it might be just fine outside. It's very hard and prickly and surely not enjoyable tastewise. You need a cabbage garden somewhere away from your succulent garden as a distraction to make sure though ;)

      Delete
  2. OMG I finally found my plant! I bought it at a tarantula expo almost two years ago labeled "small succulent" at 4 for $5 with some small ferns for enclosures. This is the only plant I've been able to keep alive for extended periods. I love this little guy but I didn't know what to do with it! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to do anything special. This one is very easy. Just water from time to time and give it a sunny spot.

      Delete