Saturday, March 15, 2014

New arrivals: Gibbaeum, Argyroderma and Ebracteola (4 pics)

I was able to free some room with magic (otherwise known as transplantation and clever tray placement) and could get myself more mesembs. I have several pots with seedlings that will need more room sometime soon but I'm going to ignore this fact for now ;)
The new guys are:

Ebracteola wilmaniae
It arrived with the rests of a flower. Nice light rose color and lovely see-through leaves.


Argyroderma fissum
I find it curious because if you think of an Argyroderma you think of a spheroid. This one has long leaves. A bit wrinkly but a week after this picture was taken it has shown a good growth. 
By the way, you can see a little clay jug (with a cat drown on it) to the right. This is what I use to water my plants from, i.e. to measure how much water they get per pot. The regular watering means half the jug for a pot just like on the picture below (ca 5x5x8,5 cm). I take a full jug if the plant is seriously thirsty.


Gibbaeum geminum
An old and beautifully bonsai-like plant. I actually got it under a name G. dispar but it is clearly not. It looks just like my younger G. geminum so I'm calling it that now.


My other Gibbaeum geminum are feeling fine sharing their pots with Conophytum, Adromischus and Neohenricia. :)

6 comments:

  1. You need an elastic sided greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rika, How do you choose you various pot companions? Is there a plan, or you use whatever pot has the most extra space? I am sure you realize by using up the existing extra space in pots, those pots will require either pruning or dividing sooner than usual. Yep, you are living on borrowed time. Unless.......the plans are already in the works for that new apartment with bigger windows, or...that new house with attached greenhouse. Actually, the combinations of various small succulents in the last photo look great. Nice combinations of texture and colors. Maybe we all should grow our succulents this way - carefully controlled pot sharing. Another new and unique idea from Lithops Stories. Very clever. BTW I like all of your new succulents, especially the Gibbaeum geminum - a plant with character. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      Actually with this plant "compositions" I didn't think much. It just doesn't feel right to use up a whole pot for a plant that is too small for it so I put them together (they were smaller back then). In fact after pruning Neohenricia I just put cuttings everywhere there was a free square centimeter. XD And with those conophytums I didn't have much hope they'll survive (they are my first conos) but they did! I'll have to transplant them away soon because of the whole summer rest situation...
      Growing mesemb in pure pumice and in small pots really does allow to grow them in groups. It might have been risky because different plants are on different watering schedules but pumice dries quickly in small pots even if one of the plants has inactive roots. Or at least theoretically. Practically it looks like on the picture above so it can not be that bad. :)

      Btw, I teach my seedlings about "sharing" from the start XD At the moment there are: rabiea-glottiphillum-muiria-frithia pot, gibbaeum-rhynephillum pot and titanopsis-stomatium-lithops pot. And I also have my haworthia sharing its pot with another neohenricia cutting XD (sorry for possible mistakes in name spelling)

      Delete
    2. Muiria!? Where have you possibly got Muiria? I've been hunting for Muiria and optica rubra for months now (in europe only, that is!)

      Delete
    3. I got some seeds from "B&T world seeds". I took them several months to find them and there were like 20 of them in the pack. I'm currently trying to keep 4 (out of 5) seedlings alive. I doubt they'll survive though.... fingers crossed :)

      Sometimes there are offers of Optica rubra (adult plants) on ebay ;) I got mine there

      Delete