Sunday, February 10, 2013

Delosperma seedlings get a bigger home

Remember my Delosperma seedlings (click to see their progress over the year)? Sown in April last year they have been growing in a small round 5x5x5 cm pot. This winter the rapid growing stopped and they've lost some of the old leaves. I understand it's winter and all but since I've no experience growing Delosperma I've decided to get them out of the pot and inspect the roots for bugs just in case. First I was baffled because I couldn't get them out but when I did the cause of troubles became apparent: The soil was mostly roots! Huge root system, tangled and all-consuming. I didn't expect that at all. The fairly compact plants above ground looked like they fit into a small pot perfectly. Well, now they will move to a bigger 7x7x11 cm square pot and will hopefully thrive again this year.

9 comments:

  1. The tops are interesting. The roots are fascinating too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. :) And I really like how small the plants are. I thought they'd grow in thin long branches. But they are much prettier like this.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, they look so cute! They are thriving and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very cute, thank you! :) I hope they will grow well this season now that they have more room. One might even hope for flowers~

      Delete
  3. Very interresting Plants. I had to look up the name..lol.. and found that i grow these in my garden. they're one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are. :) I think they're best in a garden outside but windowsill will have to do for mine. I hope to have more different kinds of Delosperma some day.

      Delete
    2. They would be lovely on a windowsill :) in my garden centers I've only seen 2 or 3 different colours. are there more than that?

      Delete
    3. I think the dark red and light pink ones are quite rare.. If you google delosperma and go to 'pictures' there will be all different colors :)

      Delete
    4. there's also one kind with red leaves!

      Delete