Monday, April 2, 2012

two months

My youngest seedlings, julii v. fulleri 'kōsōgyoku', hatched in August and have been sitting there without any visible progress for six months until they finally started to push their first real leaves. The plants looked pretty weak back then.
Now, just two months later, they've gained weight, show a nice color and even a hint of some patterns. I'm not a very good julii grower but these little guys fill me with hope. Especially since they are about to regenerate again.

4 comments:

  1. I'm always amazing at how lithops seedlings can stay tiny and small for so long, and then suddenly feel in the mood for growing.

    I love this variety of julii - hadn't heard of it until I saw your blog. You seem to find the most amazing varieties of lithops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Heather. With grown-up lithops you know they won't change in winter, but seedlings can take a break anytime in the year and have a growth spurt months later when you've almost given up on them. :)

      Thanks, julii are very beautiful but I grow only several plants. They don't like me very much, it seems.

      Delete
    2. I found jullii to be pretty hard to grow too. And I suspect it is because I sowed them in autumn. It looks the best time to sow them is in april. Then they start to push their first real leaves in about four mounth and go to their first winter being more stronger.

      Delete
    3. Yes, you're right. I've regretted having sown them so late, it had not only slowed down the growth but the plants also had to survive winter as small and weak as they were. I'll keep that in mind when I sow them again.
      Unfortunately I have problems with grown-up julii as well.

      Delete